International Recovery Specialists Institute (IRSI)
Code of Ethics
IRSI Certified Recovery Specialist(IRSI-CRS) Code of Ethics outlines basic values and principles of IRSI Recovery Specialist practice. This Code serves as a guide for responsibility and ethical standards for IRSI Trained and Certified Recovery Specialists.
IRSI Certified Recovery Specialists have a responsibility to help persons in recovery achieve their personal recovery goals by promoting self-determination, personal responsibility, and the empowerment inherent in self-directed recovery. IRSI Recovery Specialists shall maintain high standards of personal conduct, and conduct themselves in a manner that supports their own recovery. IRSI Certified Recovery Specialists shall serve as advocates for the people they serve, shall not perform services outside of the boundaries and scope of their expertise, shall be aware of the limits of their training and capabilities, and shall collaborate with other professionals and Recovery Specialists to best meet the needs of the person(s) served.
IRSI Recovery Specialists shall preserve an objective and ethical relationship at all times. Recovery Specialist shall only work under supervision.
As a Recovery Specialist, I will:
1. Accurately identify my qualifications, expertise, and certifications to all whom I serve and to the public.
2. Conduct myself in accordance with the IRSI Code of Ethics.
3. Make public statements or comments that are true and reflect current and accurate information.
4. Remain free from any substances that affect my ability and capacity to perform my duties as a Recovery Specialist.
5. Recognize personal issues, behaviors, or conditions that may impact my performance as a IRSI Recovery Specialist.
6. Maintain regular supervision and ongoing support so I have a person with whom I can address challenging personal issues, behaviors, or conditions that may negatively effect my own recovery. I understand that misconduct may result in the suspension of my credentials.
7. Respect and acknowledge the professional efforts and contributions of others and not declare or imply credit as my own. If involved in research, I shall give credit to those who contribute to the research.
8. Use client contact information in accordance with GDPR policy and regulation.
9. Never accept kick-backs, referral fees, or payment of any type in exchange for referring a client to a treatment center.
10. Never refer a client to a treatment center that is not within the client’s best interest for any motive other than the clients best interest.
11. Ensure I have vetted and confirmed practices, specialists and modalities of treatment at treatment centers I refer to.
II. Conflict of Interest
Protect the privacy and confidentiality of all persons served, laws, local jurisdictions and state and country laws and regulations. This includes electronic privacy standards (Social Media, Texting, Video Conferencing etc).
As an IRSI Recovery Specialist, I will:
1. Reveal any perceived conflict of interest immediately to my Case Manager, supervisor or referring agency as required and should it be necessary request to be removed/replaced from the service.
2. Disclose any existing or pre-existing professional, social, or business relationships with person(s) served.
3. Inform clients of costs of services for which I am employed and not charge person served beyond fees established.
4. I will not sponsor individuals with whom I have previously served or currently serve as a Recovery Support Specialist.
III.Support Specialist/Client Relationship
As an IRSI Recovery Specialist, I will:
1. Clearly explain my role and responsibilities to those I serve.
2. Terminate the relationship with a person(s) served when services appear to no longer be of benefit and to respect the rights of the person served to terminate services at his/her request.
3. Request a change in my role as a Recovery Specialist with a person being served if the person served requests a change, or if the person being served requires skills out of the scope of my experience and expertise.
4. Not engage in sexual activities or personal relationships with persons served in my role as an IRSI RS, or members of the immediate family of person(s) served.
5. Set clear, appropriate and culturally and spiritually sensitive boundaries with all persons served.
6. If at any point I feel I am unable to meet any of these requirements, I will immediately cease performance as an IRSI Recovery Specialist and seek professional assistance.